Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Miracle Romance!


I actually meant to post this yesterday, but I got too busy and didn't get to. But I couldn't resist posting a little something to celebrate Sailor Moon's 20TH anniversary! (Wow, something else to make me feel old, lol.)

Sailor Moon originally aired in Japan on March 7th, 1992. It didn't air on American television until about 4 years later, but it had already made it's way into some fansub distros (back in the day when fansubs were on VHS tapes). I first saw some Sailor Moon in '93 or '94 at a comic convention...I didn't know what it was, but I was drawn to the art style, and when I saw it in English on TV, I knew that it wasn't totally the same but...I was hooked. XD

I had been a fan of anime as a kid (though I didn't really know what it was at first), but Sailor Moon was one of the first series I actually got basically fanatical about. And it was the first time I was sort of into an actual "fandom" (before there was really a term for that sort of thing)--I drew lots of fanart, bought as much of the American merch as I could find (to help support the show, of course!), started actively trading VHS tapes of fansubs, and even chatting with other people online about the series & it's characters online once my family finally signed up with internet service. (Ah, dial-up and Geocities pages...seems like so long ago!)

And because of Sailor Moon, not only did I meet some amazing people through it (some friends I still know to this day!), but I honestly think that it helped me through some rough times. I know that sounds corny, but when I was young, I was painfully shy and it was very hard for me to talk to others and make friends. Sailor Moon not only helped me connect to other people, but for awhile? The Senshi where like friends I never had. And over time, I came out of my shell and DID find those friends...and I'd like to think that fandom was a small part in that.

So, yeah...some might find Sailor Moon to be outdated or corny, but who cares! I still love Sailor Moon, and if I ever have kids, you better believe they're gonna watch it eventually.

月の光は愛のメッセージ!
♥Usamimi

No comments:

Post a Comment