Friday, February 3, 2012

Introducing "Thrifting Thursdays...(on Friday)"

Anyone who has a blog or has been on Tumblr knows that thrifting has gotten huge lately. Which I think is awesome! I love going to thrift stores, and I've been doing it for quite awhile. In fact, lately I've been browsing our local thrift stores about once a week, since now I live close to so many. I thought that it'd been fun to do a weekly post about finds, since sometimes I find stuff that's pretty awesome (and sometimes...not so awesome. XD) So here's our first installment of:


Yesterday was a pretty good day!

First off, I found this beautiful strawberry-printed tea cup! I love the pattern, and the handle looks so elegant! Someday, I want to do my entire kitchen in a strawberry theme, so whenever I see cute pieces like this, I always pick them up. And it was a steal at only .49 cents! Under the tea cup is a mini polka-dotted case (it kind of resembles a lunch box, but it looks to be made of some kind of industrial cardboard instead of plastic or metal). It's not very big, but I couldn't resist it! I think it'd be cute to hold small things (like maybe hair clips or something like that?), and for the price (also .49 cents!) I couldn't pass it up. I'm always on the look out for cute storage options! (Allie commented that it almost looks like something from Swimmer Brand, which is true! That must be why I spotted it, heh!)



This was a fun surprise--a children's book of the original story of "The Little Mermaid", anime-style! I picked it up because it reminded me of the old 70's anime version (which it might be tied to, I'm not sure! The look is definitely similar. If anyone knows, leave me a comment!) This Goodwill has all their children's book priced at 5 for .99 cents, so I scooped it up without much thought. The artwork has a sweet, vintage anime look that I really like. I've been considering doing something with it (like maybe frame my favorite pages?), but until then, I'm just keeping it on my manga shelf. Here's a couple more pictures:


Apparently there are a whole series of these books, all of classic fairy tales, so now I kind of want to see the rest!


I also took a look around our local used record store (conveniently right across the street from one of the Goodwill stores!), which periodically has great sales on all sorts of things like CDs, vinyl records, old video games, DVDs, you name it! Sometimes you have to dig around through a lot of boxes or bins, but that's one of the things I love about the place--it's like looking for buried treasure!

It may come as a shock to some people (given my love of all things pink and cute), but I'm a big fan of horror movies! And since I'm a fan of video games and anime, too; I guess it's no surprise I enjoy Asian horror movies, too, huh? This is one I've been wanting to see for a while, so I was excited to see it in the bargain bin this week for only $1.98. It looks to be an ex-rental copy, but when I checked the disc, it looked practically brand-new! Infection is a story that takes place in a hospital (and hospitals kinda creep me out to begin with!) and has consistently gotten pretty good reviews, so I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Grand total this trip: about $3.20 + tax

That's it for this week's finds! What do you think? Feel free to leave comments!

Until next time!
♥Usamimi

5 comments:

  1. What a deal! I need that box in my life :] Or its pink twin... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know! I wish I knew who made it, there was no info on it anywhere...I'd love to see if they made more colors or patterns!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh...I used to have that exact Little Mermaid book when I was little!!! Ohhhh I miss it so!! D: I'm so happy you managed to find it, though...it's so refreshing to see it on the internet, for some reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. could you post more pict from that book story? because I think in my country it wasn't available, thx before :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I remember those fairly tale books .There past my generation because my grandma had them for me and my older sister we had them all and I loved them, I think there what swayed me to my love anime and manga. The sad part about this story is I don't know what happened to the books because my grandma past away and I don't know what my grandfather did with them and I dought he remembers them now

    ReplyDelete