Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I tried to resist, but...

Ok, I think I mentioned it in a previous post, but I'm a fan of horror movies. I also enjoy the old classic monster movies, cheesy as they are. So I guess it shouldn't be a huge surprise that, given my love of toys and dolls...I recently caved and got a few Monster High dolls. XD;;

For those who don't know, "Monster High" is a line of dolls Mattel put out that are basically modern, girly fashion doll versions of the "children" of classic monsters. I first saw one when I worked in Target back in 2010...the only one we had on the shelf for ages was "Draculaura", which is supposed to be the daughter of Dracula (obviously ;p).


I didn't really like her, surprisingly enough. I like pink, I like vampires, but...I thought she looked really weird, and that it was just another thing trying to play on the popularity of stuff like "Twilight". (Yawn.)

But then, a few months later, we finally got some more toys in stock. One of which being "Frankie Stein" (daughter of--shock!--the Frankenstein monster).


Instantly, I liked her. I'm not sure why...I'm not terribly fond of the old Frankenstein movies (though the book was interesting), but there was something about her I found appealing. It could be that she looked sort of "zombie"-chic, with her green skin and painted stitches all over. (I enjoy a good zombie movie!) So, I finally caved and got her (while she was on sale AND I could use my employee discount! Mwahaha~)

A year later, Mattel released a variant line of the dolls called "Dawn of the Dance", which I assume is supposed to be their prom dresses or something like that. And once again, I was drawn to the Frankie Stein doll...this time, I knew exactly why, though: she looked like an extra from "Jem & The Holograms"!


I loved the cute 80's look! And pink! PIIINK~! How could I resist it?! I found it for cheap, too ($9 at a discount place! It's usually around $20-25 retail, I think), though I was a little embarrassed when the clerk tried to strike up a conversation with me by saying her 10 year old daughter loved the dolls, and asked me how old MY daughter was. *hangs head in shame*

It wasn't until recently that I noticed online there is actually quite a large group of people who are older that also collect these dolls, as well as modifying them or making custom versions. Yay! I don't feel so bad about liking them, now that I know I'm not the only one. XD (You can see some of the things people do with their MH dolls in this stream HERE! Some are quite impressive and make me wish I had the time, money, and skill to paint my own!)

I only had the 2 Frankie dolls until recently, when my boyfriend was kind enough to get me one for a Valentine's Day gift--ironically enough, the "Cupid" doll!


These are pics I took when I first got it, still in the box...she's actually quite detailed, I was surprised! Her wings are skeletal, too, which I thought was a neat idea. So now I have 3...hopefully they won't multiply too much more. XD;;

I also think it's kind of cool that little girls have a "weird" fashion doll they can buy that's not Barbie or Bratz dolls and not get flak about it. Even though I think some of the MH dolls are ugly or not my taste, I probably would've eaten this crap up when I was 7 or 8 years old! (I had a soft spot for "Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School", lol XD)

What about you guys? Anyone else have one/two/twenty of these? Or do you think they're weird? I'd love to hear other people's opinions!

♥Usamimi

5 comments:

  1. I've tried to understand the craze with these things, I really have but... all I can see when I look at them is over grown Bratz dolls with a standard try at an edgy twist D:

    It's cool though that you like them, are you going to keep them as is or attempt to repaint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, it's cool...I definitely thought the same think when I saw the pink vampire, so I don't blame you at all! XD I have a few friends that are totally head-over-heels for them and buy EVERY FREAKIN' DOLL that comes out. That, I don't quite get, because I think some of them are ugly as hell. x__x I've only liked a few (like I said, I own a whopping THREE, lol) so I'm really picky about which ones I pick up.

      I've been thinking of trying to repaint one...but it's been SO long since I've done any kind of painting I'm not sure how I'd go. XD But they do say practice makes perfect, eh? Only problem is these stupid dolls sell for so much some times, it's hard to get a "cheap" one (at least in my area...I totally lucked out finding one I liked that was $9!), but if I can find another cheap one I wouldn't mind giving it a go!

      Delete
  2. I think they're cute but I am too into straight up saccharin sweet to do evil cute... although I would totally get Cupid if I saw her :x

    I guess they remind me of Bratz + Living Dead Doll hybrids, which is kind of awesome when I think about it :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's a good way to describe them, I think! I never liked either of those dolls much, but somehow with that combo...certain dolls in the line seem to appeal to me. XD;;

      I was surprised that Zack found Cupid in stock at our local Walmart...a friend of mine told me they are CRAZY hard to find apparently and go for $40-60 on eBay and other non-retail places! O__o He said he paid $18, lol. Her wings are my favorite part, too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22598671@N03/6820388321/ (not my photo, but you get the idea). I like the idea of a "monster"-like cupid. I've never really seen that idea before.

      I think the thing I'm most surprised about is that a lot of parents now a days seem to be really protective about things that they think are "demon worshiping" (aka, they can't let their kids read Harry Potter because they'll turn into Wiccans). I have yet to hear an outcry over these dolls, which I think is nice, for a change! Girls can like something that's a little "weird" that isn't Barbie, and I think that's kinda cute. XD

      /lol end rambling

      Delete